No announcement yet.

Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil 0 Tentative Release Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sure... it's a waste of time because you don't like this game... what a great and objective reason!
    it's just a good chance for new fans (and for those who didn't have a gamecube but they have a Wii now) to get a good and classic RE title, that's all.

Comment

^You want objectivity, how about this:

Total title sales as of July, 2009.

Title Sales (in millions)
      Resident Evil - 6.43
      Resident Evil 4 - 5.2
      Resident Evil 5 - 5
      Resident Evil 2 - 4.96
      Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - 3.5
      Resident Evil Code: Veronica - 3
      Resident Evil: Outbreak - 1.45
      Resident Evil Zero - 1.25
      Resident Evil UC - 1.2

The second lowest selling title (even when it was riding on the coattails of REmake, during a waning period of interest in "classic" RE gameplay) is being re-released to a new generation which is spoiled by the more user-friendly RE4/5 game mechanic.

If RE0 failed to generate many sales back in 2002/2003, it probably will generate even fewer sales in 2010. Even more statistical evidence lies in the poor sales generated by all the other RE ports issued on Gamecube. Ports typically sell LESS than the original.

And if people were that excited to play RE0, I'm sure they'd purchase a used GC copy off of eBay.

The only thing that will have this appeal to "new fans" is if they are completely clueless as to what RE0 is like, and they dive in thinking it is like RE4/5.
      Last edited by Jill's Boob; 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Why can people not get their heads around the idea that the Resident Evil community's landscape as a whole is dramatically different in terms of sheer size compared to how it was when REmake and Zero were released?

It makes ridiculously good business on Capcom's part to release these now and hope to entice a few more of the 10m plus RE4/RE5 owners. They're costing near enough fuck all to put out again, with every chance of making a decent profit.

My bad. I forgot. We can't allow Capcom to make money! That's how it goes right?

Sure it sucks that they ARE re-releasing them (paeticularly when they're largely untouched), but you'd have to be pretty pig-headed to not realise WHY it's being done.

Comment

The reason why RE Zero sold bad is its platform, the GCN... even RE4 for GCN sold "only" 1.6 million copies at that time, and REmake did almost 1.3 million copies.

And kudos to Stu, you're right.
          Last edited by Sunglasses; 09-15-2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I don't know if you guys were addressing me, but I was merely pointing out that ports tend to sell less than the original release. I know why Capcom is re-releasing the game.

And, as I stated: "The only thing that will have this appeal to "new fans" is if they are completely clueless as to what RE0 is like, and they dive in thinking it is like RE4/5."

Comment

Originally posted by Jill's Boob View Post
              I don't know if you guys were addressing me, but I was merely pointing out that ports tend to sell less than the original release. I know why Capcom is re-releasing the game.

And, as I stated: "The only thing that will have this appeal to "new fans" is if they are completely clueless as to what RE0 is like, and they dive in thinking it is like RE4/5."
              Totally. Remake just sold 1.3? Umm...

Comment

I hope they add a Jet Ski chase section - that would make the game totally boss! In all seriousness it is quite a clever move from Capcom, capitalising on the lack of "hardcore" games on the Wii and the 4/5 generations fans, without actually having to make anything new. I hope they wii-make the first Survivor game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunglasses View Post
                  The reason why RE Zero sold bad is its platform, the GCN.
                  So the fact that the game had zero scares, obtuse puzzles and questionable gameplay mechanics had nothing to do with it not selling more than the 1.250,000 units it sold?

You think that despite the flaws some users here already pointed out, that RE Zero would've sold better on another console regardless of the quality of its content?. Really?

You mentioned the REmake's sales.... ok, that game came out on a console with a user base that mostly gravitated towards Mario and Zelda games and that in 2002 was barely 4-6 million strong. REmake still sold around 1,200,000 units within its first fiscal year and 1,350,000 units to date. That despite being merely a rehash of a PS1 game millions had already played to death for years.

Now compare that to the numbers Code: Veronica X got on the PS2. Back in 2001 the PS2 almost had the same the amount of users the GameCube had in its entire life-cycle. 20 million users. And yet despite having such a huge user base back in 2001 and the fact that CVX was practically a new game, it only sold 50k more units than the REmake.

So considering all that, IMO neither REmake or Zero sold as bad as you claim.

even RE4 for GCN sold "only" 1.6 million copies at that time
                  And I'm surprised it sold "only" that considering that it came out a year after most ppl thought the GameCube had already died. Oh and how can we forget that Capcom had crapped all over the chances of the Cube version of RE4 selling more on said console when they announce that they were making a PS2 version that included EXTRAS. And they made that announcement 5 days before the Cube version of RE4 came out. Nice going Capcom! That sure made a lot of sense business wise!

Anyway, the main problem I have with Zero is that it had no scares whatsoever despite having many of the traditional RE elements mostly intact.

However, I have no problems with other ppl buying it again. Capcom spent almost nada in creating this port since most of the promotional material and development costs were already paid for ages ago. So any money they make with the port is practically 95% profit.
                  Last edited by Pikminister; 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM.
                  Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                    Oh and how can we forget that Capcom had crapped all over the chances of the Cube version of RE4 selling more on said console when they announce that they were making a PS2 version that included EXTRAS. And they made that announcement 5 days before the Cube version of RE4 came out. Nice going Capcom! That sure made a lot of sense business wise!
                    Yeeeeah. Capcom definitely would've been better off just sticking with the Gamecube version hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Big Stu View Post
                      Yeeeeah. Capcom definitely would've been better off just sticking with the Gamecube version hahaha
                      But only for the whole 9 months it took them to make the PS2 version.

It would've made better business sense to wait at least a couple of months before spilling the beans about the 'enhanced version" that made the original version pale in comparison and thus, an unworthy buy in the eyes of many who instead waited those 9 months to buy the PS2 edition.
                      Last edited by Pikminister; 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

@Pikminister
                        considering all that yes, but those remain their poor sales date anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                          But only for the whole 9 months it took them to make the PS2 version.

It would've made better business sense to wait at least a couple of months before spilling the beans about the 'enhanced version" that made the original version pale in comparison and thus, an unworthy buy in the eyes of many who instead waited those 9 months to buy the PS2 edition.

Yes, this was the point Pikminister was making. It WAS retarded for them to do such a thing. It certainly doesn't help maximize RE4 gamecube profits. To me, I've always wondered why they did that, but it seemed to me to be more about playing politics and giving Shinji Mikami the figurative "FU" than good business sense. As the man himself said, if RE4 went to any other system, he would cut his own head off.

(Thankfully, he didn't do such a thing.)
                          sigpic

Comment

@Pikminister
                            considering all that yes, but those remain their poor sales date anyway
                            Poor sales? I tell ya... quite a few (if not all) game companies from the past and present would've love to have their games selling as "poorly" as REmake and RE Zero did on the Cube.

But I guess some ppl expected a RE game to sell like 3-5 million units like in the good old days of the PS1. However, not even on the PS2 did we see any of that until RE4 came along and sold 2 million units. Neither Outbreak or CVX sold that many before then.

Anyway, you do see that Capcom has a lot to gain in terms of ca$h by releasing them again, right?

RE Zero sold around 36.000 units in Japan (sales figures from a few months back... and given from memory... ) and nearly all of it is profit. They simply recycled all the promo material used back in 2002 for the packaging, manual and adverts thus saving themselves a lot of cash. Neither do they have to worry much about recuperating the development costs of the port.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't release this game before Christmas and thought this game would be out by now.

Comment

Working...
                              X