New RE5 Preview - OPSM Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RE5 Preview - OPSM Australia

Playstation Official Magazine - Australia, have Resident Evil 5 on their December 2008 cover today and with that a "world exclusive" look at the game itself. The 5 page article reveals some interesting details about the game, but there's not a whole lot of new information besides some reworded stuff from the GamesTM article. What is included though, is shown below: -

• Control system is alledgedly named "Gears", and is referred to as a "secondary" control system - take from that what you will.
    • Deserted train yard area confirmed - sun is blocked "dynamically" by high carriages and cargo containers.
    • The developers consider the game at it's core to be a "horror game, not a third person shooter".
    • Tap L1 to aim, double tap L1 to reload, with evasion being mapped to X
    • Jun Takeuchi explains the "Gears" control system - "The decision to introduce the new control scheme is something we took in fairly late into the development of Resident Evil 5. The main reason we decided to put it into the game was actually due to the Resident Evil movies - there are a lot of people out there now that know about the game and might want to play it, but may be put off by difficult control schemes."
    • About Sheva's AI - "...and most importantly the AI keeps up with you along the way.
    • Takeuchi want's to avoid "glorifying violence". In example, he mentions that although the executioner will decapitate someone in a certain cutscene, you won't see a bloody neck stump spraying blood anyway. Takeuchi remarks "It is not always about blood and gore. More goes into it than that and keeping a balance is important".
    • The preview makes the game's co-op system sound quite challenging, remarking that if one player dies then the game will end. Takeuchi humourously adds "If both players are crap you will end up in a worse situation than Friday The 13th."
    • It is mentioned that your gun CAN jam, though it is unclear if the article means generally throughout the game or just during the chase scene.
    • Villagers who throw explosives at Chris' hummer during the chase scene will drastically move the vehicle of course, possibly ruining the player's aim.
    • Resident Evil 5 will "draw together many of the mysteries and strange story paths featured in the previous entries into the series."

In addition, there is more information about Excella Gione and Sheva's "inspiration" too.
    • Sheva's face was inspired by Australian model Michelle Van Der Water, but another model was used for her boice and capture.
    • Excella Gionne is descended from the founders of Tricell.
    • She has been able to work her way up the corporate ladder of Tricell because of weapons she made using "virus information" Wesker has passed on to her.
    • She is using her position within Tricell to assist Wesker in his "plans".

And finally, Takeuchi and the development team tease us with this statement:
    What we would like to say to fans of the series to brush up on past Resident Evil games and know everything that is going on with the story, even Code Veronica. We can't say exactly why, but that might be one thing that they'll want to do before the game comes out!
    Last edited by James; 10-07-2008, 05:07 AM.

When I read the topic title I thought 'eh? OPSM are optomitrists in Australia?!'. Then I read it was the official playstation magazine.

I'm guessing you put that THE-HORROR.COM on the cover?

"Tap L1 to aim, double tap L1 to reload, with evasion being mapped to X"
    So it's not context sensitive anymore? There must be ALOT of dodging to be done...
    sigpic

Comment

Resident Evil 5 will "draw together many of the mysteries and strange story paths featured in the previous entries into the series."
      more importnatly i hope it brings them all to a satisfying closure rather then fuck them up even more.

Comment

"What we would like to say to fans of the series to brush up on past Resident Evil games and know everything that is going on with the story, even Code Veronica. We can't say exactly why, but that might be one thing that they'll want to do before the game comes out!"

This onlly confirms what I've thought about the game so far: they are doing it the good way, I know they woun't disapoint me at least

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
          This is from the "Gears" controls or the default because in the past games you always press R1 to aim, it will be difficult to get use to it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSelfishGene View Post
            So it's not context sensitive anymore? There must be ALOT of dodging to be done...
            I hope so...like most I detest QTE's. Let's hope one has to rely on one owns timing without on-screen prompts.

Comment

Very, very interesting. I think we might've been spoiled for TGS, though.

Comment

Jun Takeuchi explains the "Gears" control system - "The decision to introduce the new control scheme is something we took in fairly late into the development of Resident Evil 5. The main reason we decided to put it into the game was actually due to the Resident Evil movies - there are a lot of people out there now that know about the game and might want to play it, but may be put off by difficult control schemes."
                That's another reason for me to hate the Movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryler View Post
                  That's another reason for me to hate the Movies.
                  You people all complained when there was no strafing in RE4 and now they've implemented it you all bitch about the movies, which really weren't that bad anyway.
                  Last edited by James; 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

"She has been able to work her way up the corporate ladder of Tricell because of weapons she made using "virus information" Wesker has passed on to her"

Now we know what Wesker does with the virus samples that he collected!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
                      "She has been able to work her way up the corporate ladder of Tricell because of weapons she made using "virus information" Wesker has passed on to her"

Now we know what Wesker does with the virus samples that he collected!!!
                      I wonder then, if Excella is holding Sherry hostage (perhaps the unseen person being injected in one of the trailers?) and using her as a guinea pig of sorts for testing viral strains?

Comment

So it's R1 to fire?
                        It better not be R2. I love my PS3 but I hate those L2/R2 triggers. I refuse to play any driving game that forces me to use them... but that's another matter.
                        Hopefully there is a good variety of options including 'classic' RE4 style. Ideally, I like when I can just map the whole controller myself in the options.
                        What we would like to say to fans of the series to brush up on past Resident Evil games and know everything that is going on with the story, even Code Veronica. We can't say exactly why, but that might be one thing that they'll want to do before the game comes out!
                        This is interesting. Why the specific mention of Code Veronica? What could they be on about?
                        There's no way Alfred is making another appearance (for several reasons). A reborn or cloned Alexia? Long lost Steve, back on the scene? ( Steve made me )...
                        Any theories?

Comment

I'm guessing the Code Veronica reference might have to do something with Umbrella, being that was where one of the last Umbrella bases was destroyed. If they are talking about CV mentioning Africa as the origin of the virus, then that would be something that is fucken wrong. I hope that questions are answered at this game.

Comment

Well Code Veronica had the whole Chris vs. Wesker stuff

And other than T-Veronica and/or Steve I don't see anything that could return from CV...

Comment

the glorious ashford family perhaps ?

Comment

Working...
                              X